Nat

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Fri Dec 18 04:40:39 UTC 2015

>> make ipv6 easier to deploy, especially in enterprise.  repeat the
>> previous sentence 42 times.
>
> I'm still waiting for the IETF to come around
> to allowing feature parity between IPv4 and IPv6
> when it comes to DHCP.  The stance of not
> allowing the DHCP server to assign a default
> gateway to the host in IPv6 is a big stumbling
> point for at least one large enterprise I'm aware
> of.  Right now, the biggest obstacle to IPv6
> deployment seems to be the ivory-tower types
> in the IETF that want to keep it pristine, vs
> allowing it to work in the real world.

i disagree strongly on one point.  ipv6 is about as far from pristine as
a protocol can get.  an icon of second system syndrome.  and it is
simpler than it used to be.  remember TLAs, NLAs, ...

but the dhcp st00pidity does encapsulate the arrogance and stupidity
marvelously

>> what keeps the cows in the pasture is the quality of the grass not
>> the height of the fence.
> Randy, I would happily appoint you as CIG-Q,
> the Chief Inspector of Grass Quality.    ;)

i gave all such things up over 21 years ago

randy