Binge On! - And So This is Net Neutrality?

bzs at theworld.com bzs at theworld.com
Thu Dec 10 20:06:43 UTC 2015

 > > "Verizon is reportedly set to begin testing a sponsored data program that
 > > would let companies pay Verizon to deliver online services without using up
 > > customers' data plans. The news comes from aRe/code interview

This is usually referred to as "zero-rating" and is related to,
perhaps a sub-topic of, network neutrality but perhaps a little
different.

It's become a somewhat big issue in the developing world particularly
with Facebook Zero, Wikipedia Zero, Google Free Zone (which doesn't
mean a zone w/o google!), and internet.org for some
buzzology. T-Mobile has also offered some related music services in
the US.

   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero-rating

The concern in the developing world is that these services will push
out local businesses who can't afford to pay for customers' data or
don't have the capital to interest carriers in such a plan for them.

I'm mixed, it's probably worth digging into the issue a little before
shooting from the hip though.

--
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | bzs at TheWorld.com           | http://www.TheWorld.com
The World              | Public Access Internet     | Since 1989     *oo*