IPv6 Cogent vs Hurricane Electric

Baldur Norddahl baldur.norddahl at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 01:32:38 UTC 2015

On 7 December 2015 at 01:54, Matthew Petach <mpetach at netflight.com> wrote:

> So, hypothetically speaking, if Level3 and NTT
> both charge $2/mb/s/month, and Cogent and
> HE charge $0.75/mb/s/month, you might
> find that you get a more cost-effective
> blend by getting 3 circuits, one each
> from Level3 OR NTT, and Cogent,
> and HE, for a total cost of $2+$0.75+$0.75,
> or $3.50, instead of the other option
> of buying two circuits, one each
> from Level3 and NTT, which would
> be $2+$2, or $4.

Or you could buy from some so called "tier 2" or "tier 3" providers
instead. Say the world has 6 tier 1 providers called A, B, C, D, E and F.
Ideally you would get the best connectivity (the most direct routes) by
buying from two tier 2, one which has A, B and C as uplink and the other
has D, E and F.

In my experience the connectivity between tier 1 providers can be really
bad. If I use only my Cogent transit, some traffic will go from Europe to
New York and back again. The performance is so bad that my customers will
start calling me and claim the network is down. Just looking at the routing
table will not tell you the full story here.

Back to the real world: Cogent is good for dirt cheap transit, HE is good
for their massive peering and then you also take in someone local to cover
all your bases.

Regards,

Baldur