DHCPv6 PD & Routing Questions

Baldur Norddahl baldur.norddahl at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 16:45:56 UTC 2015

On 6 December 2015 at 06:18, Mark Andrews <marka at isc.org> wrote:

> > Are you really suggesting that a residential ISP accept routes advertised
> > from their customer’s CPE? Really?
>
> PD is used internally as well as externally, and with a little bit
> of crypto to prove the assigned address belongs to them there really
> isn't a reason a CPE device couldn't announce a address to a ISP.
> It would also allow BCP38 filters to be built rather than using RFP
> which is only a approximate solution.

Do you envision that the CPE runs OSPFv3 or something else? Would that
scale? I am not an OSPF expert, but thousands of CPEs in an OSPF domain
does not sound like a sane thing.

What is the advantage? The prefix has been assigned to the CPE. If the CPE
does not advertise the prefix it just goes to the null route. What is the
use case where you want a prefix assigned to a CPE but _not_ routed to the
same CPE?

I do agree that there is something missing here, but I prefer a solution
that does not require the CPE to be changed.

Regards,

Baldur