Peering + Transit Circuits

Baldur Norddahl baldur.norddahl at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 23:02:16 UTC 2015

On 18 August 2015 at 14:29, Tim Durack <tdurack at gmail.com> wrote:

> 4. Don't worry about peers stealing transit.

Because both of our transit providers implement source filters. Any packets
received with a source IP not in the list of IP ranges registered by us
will be dropped by the transit provider. Stealing transit is not practical
giving the limitation that you need to use a source address from our ranges.

I use ACLs on our end too just to be sure. ACL on the transit to prevent
wrong source from leaving our network and ACL on the peering to prevent
wrong destination to enter the network. Actually both ACLs are used in both
places.

The prefix lists used for the ACL need to be maintained in any case. It is
the list of routes that we advertise.

Regards,

Baldur