net neutrality peering dispute between CenturyTel/Qwest and Cogent in Dallas

Matthew Huff mhuff at ox.com
Sat Aug 15 13:40:54 UTC 2015

It's only partially about net neutrality. Cogent provides cheap bandwidth for content providers, and sends a lot of traffic to eyeball networks. In the past, peering partners expected symmetrical load sharing. Cogent feels that eyeball networks should be happy to carry their traffic since the customers want their services, the eyeball networks want Cogent to pay them extra. When there is congestion, neither side wants to upgrade their peeing until this is resolved, so they haven't. This has been going on for at least 5 years, and happens all over the cogent peering map.

Depending on what protocol you are using, it can be an issue or not. Our end users on eyeball networks had difficulty maintaining VPN connections. We had to drop our Cogent upstream and work with our remaining upstream provides to traffic engineer around Cogent. YMMV.

----
Matthew Huff             | 1 Manhattanville Rd
Director of Operations   | Purchase, NY 10577
OTA Management LLC       | Phone: 914-460-4039