Cogent revisited

Adam Greene maillist at webjogger.net
Tue Aug 11 14:00:21 UTC 2015

Hi all,

We are getting ready to renew our fiber contract with our incumbent provider
(Lightower, ASN 46887). We are happy with them, but are looking for
alternatives. At the location in question we need about 200M.

Cogent recently contacted us, and I shied away a bit, based on this
conversation a few years ago:

http://mailman.nanog.org/pipermail/nanog/2012-May/048181.html

Have opinions changed since then? Or is Cogent still the "budget alternative
to have in your mix, but better to stay away from if you need
high-performance, reliable, mostly standalone bandwidth" (which is how I
would summarize the consensus in 2012)?

Thanks,

Adam