Super Core Hardware suggestions

Michael excelsio at gmx.com
Sun Aug 9 08:52:11 UTC 2015

Hello,

we´re using H3C S5820v2 (== HP 5900AF) switches for our 10Gbe servers,
as HP won the public tender:

- 1RU
- Broadcom Trident I ASIC
- 48x 10Gbe SFP+, 4x40GbE QSFP+
- NO deep buffer (on that specific switch)
- The switch itself is inexpensive, but
- NO HP lifetime warranty. We need hardware carepacks and also purchased
software carepacks, but
- even with a software carepack, it´s unfortunately not possible to get
bugs fixed for years (for some older H3C device).
- We´re running OSPF+BFD, OSPFv3+BFD. (According to the datasheet, they
can do ISIS+ISISv6 + MPLS, too - Never tested on those)
- NO "In Service Software Upgrade“ (ISSU), also not on HP´s bigger
modular switches with redundant fabrics. As soon you have a software
upgrade, you´re lost. If HP tells you something about "ISSU", that´s
only for some hot patches, but I have seen only 1 within the last year
for all of our HP/H3C devices.
- HP optics are quite expensive. But you could actually put every other
vendor coded SFP module in it (for now) and it works. (Yes it will warn
you within logging)
- If you need higher quantities talk to your HP representative. Cisco is
not the only vendor that can give 70% off price list...

Btw, if I were allowed to buy something else, I´d go for Juniper...

Regards
Michael