Did *bufferbloat* cause the 2010 flashcrash?

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Thu Aug 6 17:28:19 UTC 2015

On Thu, 6 Aug 2015, Christopher Morrow wrote:
> bufferbloat is the boogieman... of late. I think that's foolish :(
> I think this comment from jtk is really on point though! 'why only
> then?' that sure seems convenient, eh?

Failures almost never have a single cause.

Transport networks are never perfect, i.e. delays, dropped packets, data
corruption, etc. They may be contributing factors, or a combination of
rare events.  The hard question that SEC and the industry has been
wrestling with is "Why?" not so much "How?"

The apparent condititions didn't change, but the system reacted
differently during those seconds.  Why?  What was different?