Did *bufferbloat* cause the 2010 flashcrash?

John Kristoff jtk at cymru.com
Thu Aug 6 16:51:47 UTC 2015

On Sun, 02 Aug 2015 23:19:02 -0400
Jay Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:

> This guy seems to think so, and his arguments seem pretty convincing
> to me, but I don't understand the financial system as well as I might.

Interesting Jay, thanks for forwarding that.

I'm not convinced, but I could be.  Interesting hypothesis that, at
least for me, raises more questions that I'm not qualified to answer
either. Perhaps most fundamentally, what and where exactly is the
"queue" in the transmission system that Nanex refers to?

It would seem surprising that delays in general due to long queues
would not have been noticed before, since or would have caused other
more far reaching problems.

If there is serious debate about the cause of the problem, then it
may be necessary to invite an independent, neutral party to fully
investigate.  One has to ask, wouldn't it be convenient for Nanex
if queueing delay from others into their systems were the cause?

John