Quakecon: Network Operations Center tour

alvin nanog nanogml at Mail.DDoS-Mitigator.net
Mon Aug 3 22:18:13 UTC 2015

hi mr bugs :-)

On 08/03/15 at 05:38pm, Mr Bugs wrote:
> The WiFi jammers have an interesting MO. They don't throw up static on the
> frequency, that would also block their own wifi. They spoof
> de-authentication packets. I've been looking for a way to detect this kind
> of jamming because my WiFi sucks and I live next to three hotels, what you
> get for living in downtown Atlanta.

i forgot if kismet showed signal strengths of the wifi ap's ...
"stronger" signal wins over weaker signal strengths

might not be a jamming issue ??  kismet and tcpdump might be able to show
you the packets you're looking for ?

what happens if you put up a properly designed wire mess around the exterior
windows of your house/condo/aptr??

i'd wag/blindly say the area is probably full of rogue wifi ap's floating around
where evergbody is trying to wardrive each other and pick up un-suspecting
traveling visitor's login and passwd info ... signals bouncing off steel/concrete
is not ez to filter out what should be random background white noise if
you're sitting next to the radiating source ..

pixie dust
alvin
# DDoS-Mitigator.net
# DDoS-Simulator.net