DE-CIX vs Equinix

Colton Conor colton.conor at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 13:36:20 UTC 2015

Charles,

You mentioned to not use " DE-CIX NYC pricing as a benchmark" for Dallas,
but it looks like DE-CIX has priced their Dallas ports, according to their
website, at the same prices at NYC:

https://www.de-cix.net/products-services/pricing/#c2374

PortSpeed/GbpsMRC1GE1US$ 57510GE10US$ 1,250100GE100On request

Pricing table effective from 1 August 2015.

There is a special offer:

*Join us now and get your 1GE or 10GE port free of charge for*

   - *6 months* (minimum contract term of 12 months) or
   - *12 months* (minimum contract term of 36 months).

https://www.de-cix.net/products-services/pricing/#c2374

So it seems that their 10G port price, after promo, is $1250, and it does
not mention cross connect would be included. Compare this to Equinix's 10G
port with a cross connect included at $1000 per month. Considering Equinix's
cross connects are usually $350 per month, this means Equinix's actual 10G
port really cost $650 per month.

So, I will ask the question again, why are providers going to jump and
use DE-CIX
over Equinix's peering exchange? I am failing to see the benefit.
I thought it would be price, but apparently not.