Quakecon: Network Operations Center tour

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Sun Aug 2 22:57:36 UTC 2015

On 02/08/2015 23:30, Randy Bush wrote:
> otoh, i did not believe in the fad of using 65xxs at the bgp global
> edge.  while it was temporarily cheap, two years later not a lot of folk
> had that many boats which needed anchoring.

A juniper EX9200 is a switch and a cisco sup2t box is a router.  The vendor
said it so it must be true.

As anchors, I would be hard put to make a choice between a 6500 and a 7500,
which was a fine router in its day but alas only had a useful lifetime of a
small number of years.  Obsolescence happens.

The distinction between layer 2 and layer 3 capable kit is not that
important these days.  What's important is whether the device's packet or
frame forwarding capabilities are a good match for the expected workload
and that the total operating cost over the depreciation period works.

Nick