Quakecon: Network Operations Center tour

Dave Pooser dave-nanog at pooserville.com
Sun Aug 2 15:44:39 UTC 2015

>>any security protections so competitors can't kill off their
>> competition?)
>
>It would be interesting to learn whether they saw any DDoS attacks or
>cheating attempts during competitive play, or even casual
>non-competitive play amongst attendees.

I wonder if that would be a reason for the relatively anemic 1Gb Internet
pipe-- making sure that a DDoS couldn't push enough packets through to
inconvenience the LAN party.

(Disclaimer: $DAYJOB did the audio/visual/lighting for QuakeCon but we had
nothing to do with the network and I was utterly uninvolved in any way,
so my speculation is based on no information obtained from outside my own
skull.)
--
Dave Pooser
Cat-Herder-in-Chief, Pooserville.com