Quakecon: Network Operations Center tour

Niels Bakker niels=nanog at bakker.net
Sun Aug 2 11:56:07 UTC 2015

* randy at psg.com (Randy Bush) [Sun 02 Aug 2015, 13:37 CEST]:
>ietf, >1k people, easily fits in 10g, but tries to have two for
>redundancy.  also no nat, no firewall, and even ipv6.  but absorbing
>or combatting scans and other attacks cause complexity one would
>prefer to avoid.  in praha, there was even a tkip attack, or so it
>is believed; turned off tkip.

Didn't the IETF already deprecate TKIP?

>the quakecon net was explained very poorly.  what in particular
>provides game-quality latency, or lack thereof?  with only 2g, i
>guess i can understand the cache.  decent bandwidth would reduce
>complexity.  and the network is flat?

Cabling up 4,400 ports does take a lot of effort, though.

The QuakeCon video was typical for a server guy talking about network:
with a focus on the network periphery, i.e. some servers supporting
the network.  I guess a tale of punching 300-odd patchpanels is not
that captivating to everybody out there.

	-- Niels.