Windows 10 Release

Keith Medcalf kmedcalf at dessus.com
Sat Aug 1 02:27:32 UTC 2015

It takes no effort at all.  You just do the same thing as has been done with every previous version of windows:

When it asks for a LOCAL account and password, give it one.  When it asks if you want to do a Microsoft Account", say no thank-you.  Mind you, it does ask you about 8 times if you are REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY sure you don't want to create or use a Microsoft account (obviously because that must be worth a LOT of money to microsoft).

But you do not have to do it.  And it is not difficult to avoid creating/using a microsoft account.

Nor does not having a Microsoft Account have any adverse effect.  It just means that you cannot use the crappy apps or the crappy app store.  The only failing that I find is that there is no way to actually get rid of all the cruft -- to say "I do not want to use a Microsoft Account so please permanently remove anything which requires it, or which cannot be maintained without it".

It is not as bad, however, as their propensity for turning the firewall off (and diddling the rules) everytime you get even the slightest update such that you have to go into the firewall settings on a daily basis and make sure they are still set the way YOU want them set and not the way Microsoft wants them set (Microsoft wants them completely disabled).