192.0.1.0/24?

Leo Vegoda leo at vegoda.org
Mon Apr 27 16:42:21 UTC 2015

Hi,

On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 04:52:28PM -0700, Doug Barton wrote:

[...]

> I've also cc'ed Leo and Michelle from ICANN so that hopefully they
> can see about getting some whois info set up for that network.
> Michelle, let me know if it would be easier for you if I opened a
> ticket for this request.

As Harley correctly notes, in 1990 192.0.1.0/24 was listed in RFC
1166 as BBN-TEST-C. RFC 1166 was one in a series of status reports
on the distribution of Internet Number Resources and other protocol
parameters that started in the 1970s and continued until RFC 1700,
which was published in 1994. Eight years later, RFC 3232 noted that
the function provided by those reports had been provided via an
online database since 1994.

RFC 3232 noted that the periodic status reports might be continued
by a new organization. Most of that reporting responsibility was
taken on by the RIRs. However, in 2002 RFC 3330 provided an update
on the special use IPv4 addresses that had been assigned in various
RFCs. RFC 3330 did not include any mention of 192.0.1.0/24 and nor
did its successor, RFC 5735.

RFC 6890 was published In 2013 and created a pair of IANA registries
for special-purpose IPv4 and IPv6 addresses. 192.0.1.0/24 is not
listed in the IANA IPv4 Special-Purpose Address Registry
(https://www.iana.org/assignments/iana-ipv4-special-registry) and
has no special purpose. ARIN is the administrator of 192.0.0.0/8 and
other than special-purpose assignments registered in accordance with
the requirements of section 4.3 of RFC 2860, addresses in this /8
are allocated according to ARIN policy.

I hope this is helpful.

Regards,

Leo Vegoda