Peering and Network Cost

Justin Wilson - MTIN lists at mtin.net
Fri Apr 17 15:53:49 UTC 2015

Peering and peering on an exchange are two different things.  Peering at an exchange has several benefits other than the simple cost of transit.  If you are in a large data center which charges fees for cross connects a single cross connect to an exchange can save you money.

Peering can also be a sales tool.  If you buy from a VOIP provider and are peered with them your latency and such will go down.  You also have more control over the QOS over that peer.  This can be spun into marketing.

Not to toot our own horn but we put together a list of benefits for our IX customers:
http://www.midwest-ix.com/blog/?p=15

Also, a good article at:
http://blog.webserver.com.my/index.php/the-benefits-of-hosting-at-internet-exchange-point/

Justin