BGP offloading (fixing legacy router BGP scalability issues)

Baldur Norddahl baldur.norddahl at gmail.com
Sat Apr 4 01:55:34 UTC 2015

The SIR approach might not work if your switch does not support selective
installing routes. Also the switch might have a very slow CPU and be memory
constrained, making downloading a large number of routes impractical even
if you do not install all.

IX and transit providers are making this harder that it needs to be. Just
allow two IP and MAC addresses on the peering network. Then you can just
have a server running BIRD directly on the peering network using next hop
attribute to redirect traffic through the switch.

Actually I believe Cogent offers /29 on the peering link so you can do
exactly that.

Regards

Baldur