BGP offloading (fixing legacy router BGP scalability issues)

Barry Shein bzs at world.std.com
Fri Apr 3 18:51:13 UTC 2015

On April 3, 2015 at 20:22 baconzombie at gmail.com (Bacon Zombie) wrote:
 > Is port scanning illegal in China?
 >
 > If not the there is no reason for then to do anything about it.

I don't think that's a minimal standard one has to use, illegal or
not.

Management of the internet infrastructure is primarily a cooperative,
voluntary (in terms of cooperation and communication and agreement to
BCPs and standards), and good-faith effort, not just bounded by what
is or isn't illegal.

As I said before these are companies most probably with many millions
of dollars on the table, not miscreants out to cause problems.

I suspect if one got them to the table the answers would be a bit more
nuanced than "it's not illegal!" even if someone burdened with manning
a support desk may have said something like that.

All we really know at this point is that flinging emails at their
admins hasn't been as effective as one might like. That's not entirely
surprising.

--
        -Barry Shein

Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 800-THE-WRLD        | Dial-Up: US, PR, Canada