update

Jim Popovitch jimpop at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 02:43:30 UTC 2014

On Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 10:29 PM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 7:36 PM, Daniel Jackson <fdj at mindspring.com> wrote:
>> On 09/24/2014 07:22 PM, Jim Popovitch wrote:
>>> That won't automatically invoke bash on Debian/Ubuntu....unless someone
>>> intentionally changed default shells....
>>
>> People seem not to know that Debian and derivatives use a variant Almquist
>> shell rather than bash for system accounts.
>
> You're both wrong.
>
> $ cat /etc/issue
> Debian GNU/Linux 7 \n \l
>
> $ ls -laF /bin/sh
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 Nov 17  2011 /bin/sh -> bash*
> $ grep root /etc/passwd
> root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash

You have done something wrong/different than what appears on a
relatively clean install:

$ cat /etc/issue
Debian GNU/Linux 7 \n \l

$ cat /etc/debian_version
7.6

$ ls -laF /bin/sh
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 Mar  1  2012 /bin/sh -> dash*

$ grep root /etc/passwd
root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/sh

I'm curious now... did you install a server or desktop version of
Debian?  Was if from netinst or cds, etc.?

-Jim P.