2002::/16 [6to4] & abuse

TJ trejrco at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 16:56:03 UTC 2014

2002::/16 would be advertised by anyone *still *operating a 6to4 relay.

A host w/ only IPv4 connectivity could use 6to4 to get access to an
IPv6-only resource, thanks to automatic IPv6-in-IPv4 encapsulation
(Protocol41) and with a helping hand from publicly operated relays.
Someone with (only?) native IPv6 would not, normally / unintentionally, use
a 6to4 address.  In this case, af2c:785 being on both sides means it is (if
everyone is playing nicely / by the rules) a host at that v4 address doing
this automagically.

Pure supposition:  a compromised host that happens to have, and prefer,
6to4.

/TJ