internet governance, rir policy, and the decline of civilization

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Sat Sep 20 07:56:02 UTC 2014

On (2014-09-20 13:32 +0900), Randy Bush wrote:

Interesting quote from the paper.

I've sometimes wondered if RIR's do too much, if there is inherent mission
creep to justify increasing revenue due to increasing member base.

While it is often useful to the community and at least mostly harmless, it may
reduce competition in areas that are not strictly needed to be monopolized.

I believe monopolies are good for many things, but the scope of each monopoly
should be well defined and no mission creep should be allowed.
I'm not sure for example, if 11MEUR is needed for number registry personnel
costs, that could give you 100 hostmasters with 5500EUR/month salary, in good
likelihood, we'd be able to run focused number registry with volunteers.
Inside monopoly, there is always honest belief that you are operating as
leanly as you can, because usually no organization realizes their
inefficiencies until they must to survive.

--
  ++ytti