The Next Big Thing: Named-Data Networking

Barry Shein bzs at world.std.com
Sun Sep 7 16:24:02 UTC 2014

Understand these were speaking notes and it was safe to assume the
audience basically understood DNS so it wasn't my intention to give an
exhaustive introduction to how DNS works.

There also seems to be some splitting of hairs over the meaning of
"site" in your response. That is, some sort of physical boundary vs an
authoritative boundary.

At any rate my proposal doesn't eliminate hierarchical addresses, it
just says (in brief) that "bits is bits" and IP numeric addresses per
se were mostly a product of modeling fast CPU registers which may not
be the only model. One could use the FQDNs themselves as hierarchical
addresses at least as an external representation.

It was intended to be a provocative proposal.

--
        -Barry Shein

Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 800-THE-WRLD        | Dial-Up: US, PR, Canada