The Next Big Thing: Named-Data Networking

Gary Dunaway Gary.Dunaway at teamhgs.com
Fri Sep 5 14:58:41 UTC 2014

>> How many Youtube subject tags will fit in *your* routers' TCAM?
>>
>> http://tech.slashdot.org/story/14/09/04/2156232/ucla-cisco-more-launch
>> -consortium-to-replace-tcpip
>>
>>  [ Can someone convince me this isn't the biggest troll in the history
>> of the internet? Cause it sounds like shoehorning DNS /and Google/
>> into IP in place of, y'know, IP addresses. ]
>>

>I didn't read it that way exactly, especially in light of this not in the Wikipedia article:
>
>"Application-layer designs have also been proposed for deploying a content-centric interface. This has benefits such as easier deployment, backwards compatibility >and more flexible delivery support."
>
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Named_data_networking
>
>It's an interesting concept, but it ain't gonna replace TCP/IP, DNS, or IP addresses anytime soon. :-)
>
>- - ferg

Given how long the process has been to go from IPv4 to IPv6, I would imagine something like this taking much longer to take root and spread out to the masses. It is a curious concept though and the papers written on the consortium site may be work a quick read.

-gary

Please make note of our new e-mail domain name: TEAMHGS.COM.
Request you to update your address book accordingly.

Confidentiality Notice:
intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s) and may contain confidential or privileged
information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender at
Hinduja Global Solutions or postmaster at teamhgs.com immediately and destroy all copies of
this message and any attachments.

9284f6a0-bf16-11e3-b1b6-0800200c9a66