A translation (was Re: An update from the ICANN ISPCP meeting...)

Barry Shein bzs at world.std.com
Mon Oct 27 18:52:39 UTC 2014

On October 27, 2014 at 10:12 goemon at anime.net (goemon at anime.net) wrote:
 > On Mon, 27 Oct 2014, Barry Shein wrote:
 > > > I disagree. Perhaps my age is showing, but I believe the whole point of the registration database is to provide contact information to allow someone to contact the registrant for whatever reason, e.g., "hey, stop that!".
 > > It's the old problem, crooks don't hand out business cards.
 > > And, again, at what cost, and to whom?
 >
 > If you can't be bothered to have correct contact info, your packets go
 > into the scavenger queue. Or get redirected to a webpage explaining why
 > your network is blocked until you correct it.
 >
 > Your customers will be the ones complaining to you.

When all you have is a hammer the entire world looks like a nail!

Typical estimates are that around 30-40% of WHOIS data is useless (for
what purpose tho?) ranging from out of date (they don't live there any
more, etc) to terribly incomplete, to probably fraudulent (Daffy Duck
owns many domains, so does Frodo Baggins.)

So long as the bill gets paid, or was paid 10 years forward, etc., it
tends to not get reviewed.

So is your proposal to block 30-40% of all domains?

Whose customers will be complaining?

But this isn't about that.

As I said in a previous note I have no problem with better data as a
concept. Few disagree with that, the devil is in the details.

The issues are at what cost, at whose cost, who gets access to the
data (that's changing, get ready for "NOT AUTHORIZED" as a response to
a WHOIS query), what is good data (is listing an agency whose purpose
is to exist but not reveal your identity good enough? There are many
of those, it's become a big business), where should it be stored, who
has custodial responsibility, privacy responsibility, how can that be
enforced (contract, most likely, but how are contracts enforced in
countries whose name you can't pronounce correctly), it's even much
more complicated than that (cctlds who don't even recognize a
contracting authority), etc. etc. etc.

Oh and let's not get started on things like the EU's data privacy
requirements. Well, actually, we have to.

You're welcome to join the fray, but leave the hammer at home.

--
        -Barry Shein

Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 800-THE-WRLD        | Dial-Up: US, PR, Canada