ARIN / RIR Pragmatism (WAS: Re: RADB)

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Mon Oct 27 02:58:04 UTC 2014

> LACNIC numbers (as a percent) are quite good, but my question
> was why only RIPE has the very impressive total count of ROAs.

< conjecture follows >

of course one can never know.  but i conject
  o the are the largest registry actively promotin registration
  o the ncc, particularly alex, tim, oleg, ... have put significant
    effort into making it very easy to register
  o they have a culture of cooperation and doing things well

> You can clearly point to ARIN's legal treatment of the risks involved,
> but that is not applicable in the APNIC case....

it is hard to register in apnic, ask folk who have tried.  the most
active folk are under NIRs, who are only now working on deployment.
apnic is not really promoting it.

> You don't feel there's any correlation between RIPE's IRR approach and
> their RPKI success?

that's the cooperative culture bit, actually interested in the net
running well.

randy