Why is .gov only for US government agencies?

Barry Shein bzs at world.std.com
Wed Oct 22 19:32:09 UTC 2014

On October 22, 2014 at 01:25 itg at itechgeek.com (ITechGeek) wrote:
 > Instead of multiple govs trying to use .gov or .mil, the best idea would be
 > to collapse .gov under .gov.us and .mil under .mil.us (Much like how other
 > countries already work).

And of course they'll also keep .GOV and .MIL because it's too much
trouble to do whatever it'd take to actually decomission them so not
much would be accomplished.

I'm not opposed to the idea, sure, why not, but I'm pessimstic that
it'd accomplish much in our lifetimes (depending on your age of
course.)

 > I don't see that happening as long as the US gov has a say in the matter.
 > I think .su will be decommissioned long before .gov or .mil are.

We agree.

  Never attribute to megalomania that which can be adequately
  explained by inertia.

--
        -Barry Shein

Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 800-THE-WRLD        | Dial-Up: US, PR, Canada