Linux: concerns over systemd [OT]

Israel G. Lugo israel.lugo at lugosys.com
Tue Oct 21 23:38:11 UTC 2014

On 10/21/2014 11:55 PM, Jay Ashworth wrote:
> [...]

Whoops, used the wrong alias to reply.

>> Not *every single* distribution...
> I had meant to put an asterisk on that.

My remark was meant to be tongue-in-cheek :)

> Ok, but how does it handle providing initscripts?  I gather any upstreams
> which used to provide them aren't anymore...

The Gentoo devs take care of that. I presume they reuse what they can
from upstream... They do a lot of hard work (sometimes more work than
they have the manpower for, unfortunately). I remember, for example,
back in KDE 3.5 days they were already dividing the upstream KDE mega
packages (kde-games, kde-office) into individual packages, so you could
choose specific programs instead of 300 MB bundles.