Linux: concerns over systemd adoption and Debian's decision to switch

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at meetinghouse.net
Tue Oct 21 22:00:22 UTC 2014

Philip Dorr wrote:
> Could someone comment on why they chose systemd over upstart (other
> than the Canonical CLA)? Or point to an article on it?

If you want to wade into the mess, the archives of the Debian Tech.
Committee (https://lists.debian.org/debian-ctte/), for Dec 2013-March
2014, make for some interesting reading (if you have a Baroque sense of
what's interesting).

The voting is documented here:
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=727708 (I think -
Debian decision making is incredibly convoluted.)

This article has some background that's reasonably accurate:
http://www.zdnet.com/debian-inches-towards-new-init-system-decision-amid-fallout-7000026128/

I seem to recall a summary document comparing the various available init
systems, and how systemd came out on top - but I'll be damned if I can
find it now.  Some of the position statements are linked from here:
https://wiki.debian.org/Debate/initsystem

Miles Fidelman