Why is .gov only for US government agencies?

Sachs, Marcus Hans (Marc) marcus.sachs at verizon.com
Mon Oct 20 23:20:19 UTC 2014

I remember asking this same question when I first started managing DNS records in the early 1990s.  Being young and unencumbered by "it's always been done this way" thinking I believed that it would only be a few years of transition and .mil/.gov would be pushed to the history books.  Now I'm older and crankier and a grandfather.  Along with asking the "who cares?" question the image of Grandpa Simpson also comes to mind:  "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

Marc