Unwanted Traffic Removal Service (UTRS)

Naslund, Steve SNaslund at medline.com
Thu Oct 9 22:19:40 UTC 2014

I understand the concerns but it seems to me that there are already plenty of ways for any large government to black hole whatever they want and they do not need UTRS to do so.  The only thing stopping (most) governments from doing this regularly are fears of turning the Internet into another arms race.  It's a stigma thing like the different between launching the first nuke vs. being the responder.  We all know they do a lot of cyber stuff out there but it is mostly behind a veil of deniability.

First, if they have access to a tier 1 carrier (or at least enough carriers to make an impact) in their jurisdiction they could just order that carrier to do it with whatever court system (or not) is required.  Most large governments also have enough connectivity to bury a route by brute force.  The only thing stopping (most) governments from doing this regularly are fears of turning the Internet into another arms race and possibly losing easy access to that resource.  We all know they do a lot of cyber crime stuff out there but it is mostly behind a veil of deniability.

There has actually been more black hole events that occur by accident or as part of denial of service attacks than government launched.  The global routing structure of the Internet has always been highly cooperative and vulnerable to a bad actor at a lot of points.  My only real concern with UTRS is designing a system that cannot be gamed or exploited to turn it into a very effective DoS weapon system.  I admit that I don't know enough about how it works to make that decision yet.

Steven Naslund
Chicago IL