IPv6 Default Allocation - What size allocation are you giving out

Faisal Imtiaz faisal at snappytelecom.net
Thu Oct 9 14:31:39 UTC 2014

> > Selection of a default prefix is easy.  Here are the steps.
> >
> > 4. Keeping in mind
> >
> >         4.1 Prefixes longer than somewhere around /48 to /56 may be
> >         excluded from the global routing table
>
> 4.1a Prefix cutouts of any size (including /48) from inside your /32
> or larger block may be excluded from the global routing table. Folks
> who are multihomed and thus need to advertise their own block with BGP
> should be referred to ARIN for a direct assignment. Folks who aren't
> multihomed, well, until given evidence otherwise I claim there are no
> single-homed entities who will use 65,000 LANs, let alone more.

This brings up another interesting question...

We operate Two separate networks in two geographical locations (Two ASN), we have a single /32 allocation from ARIN.

Question:  Should we be asking ARIN for another /32 so that each network has it's own /32  or should be break out the /32 into /36 and use these in each of the geographies ?

Regards

Faisal Imtiaz
Snappy Internet & Telecom