IPv6 Default Allocation - What size allocation are you giving out

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Thu Oct 9 06:54:20 UTC 2014

On (2014-10-09 15:25 +1100), Mark Andrews wrote:

Hi,

> Because /64 only allows for a single subnet running SLAAC with
> currently defined specifications.

I fully agree that larger than 64 must be allocation, in mobile internet,
residental DSL, everywhere. I don't think it will happen, but I think it
should and I'm happy to say that I was able to impact the national regulatory
authority to include this in their recommendation for how IPv6 should be
provided.
Having routable network is only benefit of IPv6 over IPv4, and if we just give
customers connected /64 network, without routing /56 there, then customers
will need NAT.

However, technically SLAAC is happy with arbitrarily small network, and some
kit support this (like Cisco). You're going to have to do DAD anyhow, because
uniqueness is not guaranteed.

--
  ++ytti