IPv6 Default Allocation - What size allocation are you giving out

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Thu Oct 9 05:34:34 UTC 2014

On Thu, 9 Oct 2014, Erik Sundberg wrote:

> I am planning out our IPv6 deployment right now and I am trying to figure out our default allocation for customer LAN blocks. So what is everyone giving for a default LAN allocation for IPv6 Customers.  I guess the idea of handing a customer /56 (256 /64s) or  a /48 (65,536 /64s) just makes me cringe at the waste. Especially when you know 90% of customers will never have more than 2 or 3 subnets. As I see it the customer can always ask for more IPv6 Space.
>
> /64
> /60
> /56
> /48
>
> Small Customer?
> Medium Customer?
> Large Customer?

/56 per residential customer, /48 per corporate customer. If you're doing
server hosting or alike, I'd do /56 per customer there as well, even if
the first lan is only /64, because after a while you'll find out that they
want to run virtual machines and want you to route /64:s to them instead
of bridging. You definitely want to do this so you don't have to keep a
huge ND table for all those IPs that your customer will be using in the
future. I'd set 20 ND entry limit per LAN where you have equipment, and if
the customer wants to use more concurrent addresses, then they have to
accept that you route the networks to them. This is true for all types of
customers.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se