Belkin Router issues this morning?

Keenan Tims ktims at stargate.ca
Tue Oct 7 22:32:56 UTC 2014

While we weren't really impacted by this issue, my understanding is that
the Belkin devices ping 'heartbeat.belkin.com' periodically. If their
pings fail, they do DNS redirection to the device's configuration
interface and alert the user of the error.

It appears that this server went down or had some sort of network issue,
causing the redirect to kick in and users to be unable to access the
Internet.

Any solution that either a) avoids the router's DNS redirection or b)
cause its pings to succeed would restore service.

It looks like Belkin has now re-implemented this service on top of a
DNS-cluster of AWS instances, so I think users are probably back online
now, as the IPs in the initial reports were not AWS and are no longer in
the DNS.

Workarounds include:

a) Add the IP(s) of the heartbeat server as loopbacks on a server/router
within your (service provider) network that will respond to the echos
for your customers
b) Add the hostname 'heartbeat.belkin.com' to the router's host file as
127.0.0.1
c) Modify the DNS configuration of client machines or the Belkin DHCP server