Marriott wifi blocking

joel jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Fri Oct 3 23:18:02 UTC 2014

On 10/3/14 7:12 PM, Wayne E Bouchard wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 03, 2014 at 02:23:46PM -0700, Keenan Tims wrote:
>>> The question here is what is authorized and what is not.  Was this to protect their network from rogues, or protect revenue from captive customers.
>>
>> I can't imagine that any 'AP-squashing' packets are ever authorized,
>> outside of a lab. The wireless spectrum is shared by all, regardless of
>> physical locality. Because it's your building doesn't mean you own the
>> spectrum.
>>

> I think that depends on the terms of your lease agreement. Could not
> a hotel or conference center operate reserve the right to employ
> active devices to disable any unauthorized wireless systems? Perhaps
> because they want to charge to provide that service, because they
> don't want errant signals leaking from their building, a rogue device
> could be considered an intruder and represent a risk to the network,
> or because they don't want someone setting up a system that would
> interfere with their wireless gear and take down other clients who are
> on premesis...
>
> Would not such an active device be quite appropriate there?

http://transition.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Engineering_Technology/Documents/bulletins/oet63/oet63rev.pdf
The FCC rules are designed to control the marketing of low-power
transmitters and,
to a lesser extent, their use. If the operation of a non-compliant
transmitter causes
interference to authorized radio communications, the user should stop
operating the
transmitter or correct the problem causing the interference. However,
the person (or
company) that sold this non-compliant transmitter to the user has
violated the FCC
marketing rules in Part 2 as well as federal law. The act of selling or
leasing, offering
to sell or lease, or importing a low-power transmitter that has not gone
through the
appropriate FCC equipment authorization procedure is a violation of the
Commission's
rules and federal law.