Phasing out of copper

Tim Howe tim.h at bendtel.com
Fri Nov 28 20:40:44 UTC 2014

On Fri, 28 Nov 2014 10:46:03 -0500
Jean-Francois Mezei <jfmezei_nanog at vaxination.ca> wrote:

> For my reply I am trying to get more authoritative info to show that
> incumbents do have plans to retire the copper plant once enough
> customers have migrated to FTTP ( I heard that 80% migration is the
> tip-ver where they convert the rest of customers to FTTP to be able to
> shutddown the copper).

	This probably isn't exactly what you are looking for, but...
As a CLEC in Oregon we connect to Century Link's ATM network to resell
ADSL service.  They have, for a while, maintained both fiber and copper
facilities to these nodes.  CL uses the fiber and we access the nodes
through some number of T1s on the legacy ATM network (which usually
provides inadequate bandwidth).  They have been removing the ATM access
to the nodes -- giving us about 2 weeks notice to warn and prepare any
customers we have on them.  We can resell the new DSL service (under
higher rates), but CL gives us no way of providing access to these
customers from our network now.  The rates get even higher with static
IPs (which we always provided at no cost).

--TimH