Multi-homing with multiple ASNs

Curtis L. Parish Curtis.Parish at mtsu.edu
Mon Nov 24 15:14:31 UTC 2014

Thanks to everyone for your input on our less than desirable BGP situation.

I do want to make sure I add that the state network we are a part of serves everything from elementary schools, to universities.  to the traffic cameras on the interstate.    Many of these are in rural locations and in the past each state entity had created their own network including two separate state university networks.    The state vendor managed network was created to save money and provide higher level services than just an ISP.   Among other things it serves as the private WAN for some state agencies.    As our internet redundancy and bandwidth demands have increased we have outgrown the need for the high touch services offered by the state network but we must participate in order to maintain WAN access to other state universities.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Curtis

Curtis Parish
Senior Network Engineer