Multi-homing with multiple ASNs

Curtis L. Parish Curtis.Parish at mtsu.edu
Thu Nov 20 22:00:47 UTC 2014

Greetings,

We have recently added a second ISP  (third if you count I2).  Our first "ISP" is actually a private state network that peers with two Tier 1 providers.  We own an AS number and our IP space but at the last minute learned our state network is advertising our network using two different ASNs (neither ours) so they can load balance their connections.    If you hit the right looking glass server you can see our network advertised by three different ASNs.    We were told by the new ISP that this is a problem but the state network says it is not.

Looking for opinions and words of wisdom on this split advertising issue.

Thanks
curtis

Curtis Parish
Senior Network Engineer