A case against vendor-locking optical modules

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Mon Nov 17 18:54:11 UTC 2014

On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 1:11 PM, Jérôme Nicolle <jerome at ceriz.fr> wrote:
> I'm having a discussion with Arista, trying to explain to them why I
> _can't_ buy any hardware unable to run with compatible optical modules.

Hi Jérôme,

Change "can't" to "won't", because you find it inconvenient and insulting
to work around artificial and costly problems created by your vendor. If
you can't use their equipment then they haven't lost any business but if
you _won't_ then they have.

Then schedule a call with the CEO, not your salesman. The CEO probably
doesn't understand it, probably caused it, and probably won't understand it
when you're done talking. He will understand "customer ditching us over
some subordinate's stupid behavior," and will assign someone more technical
with instructions to redress the error.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

William Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us
May I solve your unusual networking challenges?