10Gb iPerf kit?

Tom Hill tom at ninjabadger.net
Sun Nov 16 23:54:39 UTC 2014

On 11/11/14 00:49, Jason Lixfeld wrote:
> I gotta wonder.  How reliable is iPerf over something like RFC2544 or
> Y.1564?  Especially at those speeds?

Apples and oranges? iperf tests a TCP connection (over v4 or v6) and
2544 runs Ethernet tests. Yes, both test throughput, but in very
different ways. Arguably you only need one or the other -- but you work
with what you have.

> Anyone out there testing 10gbE with iPerf?  If so, what are you using?

As you say, server hardware is heavy to lug around -- but you can fit
quite a lot of CPU in a Mini-ITX/uATX board these days, and newer boards
even come with PCI-E 3.0 capable chipsets (Intel Z87).

Given the right NIC (Intel, if I was buying one) and a recent Linux
distro... I'd be surprised if a recent quad core CPU couldn't generate
10G based on what I've seen our servers do.

--
Tom