TE offline tools

Yan Filyurin yanf787 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 18:46:03 UTC 2014

And Open Source tool called TOTEM (Toolbox of Traffic Engineering Methods)
exists.  It has not been maintained since 2008 and was done as a university
research project.  You can do some things with it that you can do with the
likes of Cariden and WANDL and it takes XML files.  It is a bit of a pain
to use, but can be extended.  Another Open Source tool with similar issues
and no GUI is CSPF simulator, which runs some algorithms and you can give
it topology and demands and it can give you optimal LSP placement.  Again,
requires a learning curve and was actually Cisco side project a while ago.

And finally, if you can program, you can take Python NetworkX library which
provides SPF algorithm, which can be adopted for CSPF and you can look up
some popular algorithms on the Internet and implement them. And then use
some tool to create graphs.

But in reality Cariden and WANDL are actually pretty vendor agnostic, and
you can easily adapt them for anything.  There are people who run Juniper
networks and use Cariden and Cisco NSPs that use WANDL.   And they are
entering DC underlay world as well.  They cost money, but you do get what
you pay for.

Yan