Observations of an Internet Middleman (Level3)

Scott Helms khelms at zcorum.com
Fri May 16 17:34:35 UTC 2014

Michael,

No, its not too much to ask and any end user who has that kind of
requirement can order a business service to get symmetrical service but the
reality is that symmetrical service costs more and the vast majority of
customers don't use the upstream capacity they have today.  I have personal
insight into about half a million devices and the percentage of people who
bump up against their upstream rate is less than 0.2%.  I have the ability
to get data on another 10 million and the last time I checked their rates
were similar.

This kind of question has been asked of operators since long before cable
companies could offer internet service.  What happens if everyone in an
area use their telephone (cellular or land line) at the same time?  A fast
busy or recorded "All circuits are busy message."  Over subscription is a
fact of economics in virtually everything we do.  By this logic restaurants
should be massively over built so that there is never a waiting line,
highways should always be a speed limit ride, and all of these things would
cost much more money than they do today.

Scott Helms
Vice President of Technology
ZCorum
(678) 507-5000