FTTH ONTs and routers

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Fri May 16 15:24:57 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Mark Tinka" <mark.tinka at seacom.mu>

> On Thursday, May 15, 2014 07:24:33 PM Aled Morris wrote:
> > I notice Cisco's new ME4600 ONT's come in two flavors,
> > one (the "Residential GateWay") with all the bells and
> > whistles that you'd expect in an all-in-one home router
> > (voice ports, small ethernet switch, wifi access point)
> > and another (the "Single Family Unit") that looks a lot
> > more basic and is likely to be deployed as a bridge.
>
> Ah, so looks like it's been announced now - that is the
> breed I was referring to; the ME4600 OLT.

Having just gone through The Usual Crap getting a new Bright House/
Road Runner deploy into bridge mode for our own router (ask at order,
ask installer, find out it isn't anyway, call tech support, 45 minute
hold time, says twice they set it, still isn't set, magically reboots
into bridge mode 45 minutes after they give up), I'm wondering:

If you deploy edge gear in this class, optical, DOCSIS or DSL, what
percentage of installs want bridge mode cause they're supplying
their own router, and what percentage want you to supply the full
training-wheels package?

Cheers,
-- jra