misunderstanding scale

Chip Marshall chip at 2bithacker.net
Thu Mar 27 13:41:14 UTC 2014

On 2014-03-26, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> sent:
> Then the spammers will grab /48s instead of /64s. Lather, rinse, repeat.
>
> Admittedly, /48s are only 65,536 RBL entries per, but I still
> think that address-based reputations are a losing battle in an
> IPv6 world unless we provide some way for providers to hint at
> block sizes.
>
> After all, if you start blocking a /64, what if it’s a /64
> shared by thousands of hosting customers at one provider
> offering virtuals?

It was brought to my attention in a parallel thread on Mailop
that such a mechanism does exist for allowing ISP to hint about
the size of customer allocations, at least in the RIPE database:

http://www.ripe.net/ripe/docs/ripe-513

So how do we make this universal and get ISPs to use it?

If we know customer sizes, it becomes much easier to do
reputation on a per-customer basis, which is probably granular
enough for a lot of cases.

--
Chip Marshall <chip at 2bithacker.net>
http://2bithacker.net/