why IPv6 isn't ready for prime time, SMTP edition

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Wed Mar 26 18:26:14 UTC 2014

On 03/26/2014 01:38 PM, Tony Finch wrote:
> Who do I send the bill to for mail traffic from 41.0.0.0/8 ? Tony.

You don't.  Their upstream(s) in South Africa would bill them for
outgoing e-mail.

Postage, at least for physical mail, is paid by the sender at the point
of ingress to the postal network.  Yes, there are ways of gaming
physical mail, but they are rarely actually used; the challenge of an
e-mail version of such a system would be making it dirt simple and
relatively resistant to gaming; or at least making gaming the system
more expensive than using the system.

And let me reiterate: I don't like the idea, and I don't even think it
is a good idea.  But how else do we make spamming unprofitable? I'd love
to see a real solution, but it just isn't here yet.