IPv6 isn't SMTP

Daniel Taylor dtaylor at vocalabs.com
Wed Mar 26 12:45:06 UTC 2014

On 03/25/2014 11:18 PM, John Levine wrote:
>> 3.  Arguing about IPv6 in the context of requirements upon SMTP connections is playing that uncomfortable game with
>> one�s own combat boots.  And not particularly productive.
> If you can figure out how to do effective spam filtering without
> looking at the IP addresses from which mail arrives, you will be in a
> position to make a whole lot of money.
>
> But, as always, I'm not holding my breath.
>
> R's,
> John
>
> PS: Note the word "effective".

You look at the IP, and verify forward and reverse DNS.

IPv6 doesn't make this any harder a problem than IPv4, it just means
that we're going to *have* to reject mail that comes in from IPv6
addresses that don't have clean DNS.

--
Daniel Taylor          VP Operations            Vocal Laboratories, Inc.
dtaylor at vocalabs.com   http://www.vocalabs.com/            (612)235-5711