Level 3 blames Internet slowdowns on Technica

Matthew Petach mpetach at netflight.com
Mon Mar 24 19:57:21 UTC 2014

On Sun, Mar 23, 2014 at 6:59 PM, Naslund, Steve <SNaslund at medline.com>wrote:

> [...]
> The economic reality is that if I build out an expensive infrastructure I
> have to pile on as many high priced services as possible to order to
> maximize the revenue from it.  A customer who does not balk at a $200 a
>  month TV/voice/Internet service is not going to be happy getting a bill of
> $50 a month for a fiber loop.  The services are what the customer really
> wants and where you can add bells and whistle with little added expense.
>  The infrastructure is the expensive part.

Oh good lord, if anyone could deliver a fiber loop to my property for
$50/month, I would prepay the next 20 years
right now to make it happen.  Heck, I'd pay 10x that for a fiber loop to
the property, if I could have it cross
connected to the ISP of my choice at the far end.

I think you might underestimate what people would be willing to pay for
competitive infrastructure access to their property.

Conversely, I'd be happy to pay $5,000 in NRC installation charges
to get a fiber run to the property, with a correspondingly lower MRC.

Matt