misunderstanding scale

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Mon Mar 24 17:08:46 UTC 2014

On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 12:28 PM, Michael Thomas <mike at mtcc.com> wrote:
> On 03/24/2014 09:20 AM, William Herrin wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 3:00 AM, Karl Auer <kauer at biplane.com.au> wrote:
>>> Addressable is not the same as
>>> accessible; routable is not the same as routed.
>>
>> Indeed. However, all successful security is about _defense in depth_.
>> If it is inaccessible, unrouted, unroutable and unaddressable then you
>> have four layers of security. If it is merely inaccessible and
>> unrouted you have two.
>
> A distinction without a difference, IMHO. Either I can send you an incoming
> SYN or I can't.

Hi Mike,

You can either press the big red button and fire the nukes or you
can't, so what difference how many layers of security are involved
with the "Football?"

I say this with the utmost respect, but you must understand the
principle of defense in depth in order to make competent security
decisions for your organization. Smart people disagree on the details
but the principle is not only iron clad, it applies to all forms of
security, not just IP network security.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004